Thursday, October 10, 2013

Just a Little Advice


Today, the sophomores of Kennedy are taking the plan test which is basically a practice ACT to find out how you would do if you took the ACT right now. Last year at this time I was taking the plan test. I kept over hearing people talk about how “it’s so stupid to take this test” and “oh I’m not going to even try.” I thought it was kind of pointless too but I tried my best anyway. The other day I was sitting down with my counselor talking about college and she brought up the plan test. She said it kind of predicts how I’ll do on the ACT or SAT and apparently my score was above average. I wouldn’t have even known that had I not tried and neither would my counselor.

            What I’m trying to say is, most kids think it’s dumb because as sophomores you’re not really looking at college or anything yet. But as juniors you have to look at colleges and start planning for your future. That’s a lot of pressure and responsibility, sophomores don’t know how crucial this plan test is yet. It’s not their fault either. They’re still just babies compared to the rest of us.

A very wise women once told me that you change from the time you turn 16 to the time you turn 17 or maybe a little bit after that, you become more mature, more understanding of your surroundings and more accepting. This is one of the truest things I’ve ever heard. From birthday to birthday we don’t feel older, but now I feel older. I feel more mature, I feel 17. I know this is going to sound weird, but kids don’t understand that they just want to be cool and say “oh yeah the test is dumb I’m so cool.” I didn’t realize until now that we were the ones being dumb.

So I’m going to end this with a word of advice to the sophomores. Don’t be dumb. It may not seem important now, but you have to take this stuff at least a little bit seriously. It’s ok to have fun, but be serious when it comes to your future because your actions in the past will always catch up with you. You’ll thank me later. ;)

 

(385)

No comments:

Post a Comment